Tuesday 16 November 2010

RIGHT...

I spoke to Mr Wright yesterday and the date of my presentation is the 29th November. My supervision was supposed to be last Tuesday but it got rescheduled to today, in about 2 hours time.

Here's my updated GANTT Chart:


It is obvious that I need to read the rest of the books, as they are what is stopping me from being able to write my dissertation.

So, reading through Quantum Theory:

John Polkinghorne talks about Paul Dirac, an English theoretical physicist who was one of the founders of quantum mechanics, and one of his lectures on quantum theory.

"He took a piece of chalk and broke it in two. Placing one fragment on one side of his lectern and the other on the other side, Dirac said that classically there is a state where the piece of chalk is 'here' and one where the piece of chalk is 'there', and there are the only two possibilities. Replace the chalk, however, by an electron and in the quantum world there are not only states of 'here' and 'there' but also a whole host of other states that are mixturs of each possibilities - a bit of 'here' and a bit of 'there' added together.

Quantum theory permits the mixing together of states that classically would be mutually exclusive of each other."

He then goes on to describe the double slit experiment, which I have already come across in Quantum by Jim Al-Khalili.

So far this book is really helping me to understand the basic concepts of quantum theory. It is a world of the unknown - which is evidence to why randomness exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment