Tuesday 19 October 2010

Evaluation of Randomness

Deborah J. Bennett is assistant professor of mathematics at Jersey City State College, New Jersey. This shows that she is definitely a reliable source. Reading this book has helped me with my project in many ways.
Firstly, before reading the book I did not know much about the history of randomness, but now I do. This encouraged me to do more research on the history of the deabte of randomness, which I did not think of doing before.

Bennett made all the mathematical concepts (probabilities) very easy to understand and quite enjoyable. I liked how Bennett investigated a wide range of ideas about randomness. There were quotes about probability, random number generators and other topics that will be extremely useful to me when writing my dissertation.

"In this very entertaining little book, simply written but intended for careful readers, some of the most common mistakes people make about chance are carefully analyzed." - J.A.Rial, American Scientist

"Deborah J. Bennett's book is a useful survey of an often misunderstood topic. Randomness is deceptively complex -- in particular, as Bennett points out, because aspects of it are counterintuitive. " www.complete-review.com

I will definitely be using quotes for this book in my dissertation.

No comments:

Post a Comment